Skip to main content

Would You Like to Go on An Adventure with God?

 Would You Like To Go On An Adventure?

I was browsing a Virginia Beach yard sale on a Saturday morning, fresh coffee in hand, when I noticed it. Propped up against a wooden table was a tacky, 1970’s painting of a sail boat framed in that iconic, pea-brown wood that thankfully perished with the 70’s. The quote read, “If you want to reach new horizons, you have to lose sight of the shore.” That was me, I thought. I am about to lose sight of the shore. A few days earlier, I had stood outside my bosses’ door trembling from head to toe. I was about to walk into her office and inform her that I would going to Africa for two months. Either I would be granted a leave of absence, or I would leave my job; either way, I was going.

I had been feeling unfulfilled in my career and stagnant in my relationship with God for quite some time. I earnestly cried out to God for deeper heart change and to walk in His purposes. God always answers the sincere cry of His children. He graciously assured me that He would do it, but I could not make it happen. He would engineer the circumstances.

So there I was, frozen in fear and indecision, when a coworker walked up holding a book out to me. “Hey, I wanted to give you this.” Barely conscious of her words, I numbly glanced down at the book. I could not believe my eyes. The title of the book was,"If You Want To Walk On Water, You Have To Get Out Of The Boat," by John Ortberg. I chucked with relief. God is funny. How generous and kind to give me that nudge. He is tender with us in our weakness.

In the Lord of the Rings, Gandalf comes to the Shire where he finds Bilbo Baggins. With a mischievous twinkle in his eye, he looks down upon the hobbit and says, “I am looking for someone to go on an adventure.” In answer to my prayer, God came and asked me to go on an adventure with Him. When I complained about the intense pressures that I began to encounter, He gently reminded me of my prayer for change. Now I must trust Him. Little by little, everything in which I had placed my security and identity was systematically dismantled and discarded. It would be several years of darkness, loss, and pressure that would have sent me running in the opposite direction had I known. But God had a beautiful purpose in it all.

Often, God sustains us with a word or promise to anchor us during tumultuous season. The book of Ruth was that anchor for me. Ruth, a Moabite widow, had lost everything dear to her. Against this backdrop, she sets out on a journey from Moab to Bethlehem with her mother-in-law, Naomi, and her sister-in-law, Orpah. Along the way Naomi repeatedly urged them to go back to their homes. She saw no future for them with her in Bethlehem, only heartache and lack.

At the outset of the journey, both young women cried and kissed Naomi saying that they would not leave her. Sadly, Orpah succumbed to the pressure and turned back towards Moab. But Ruth was after much more than comfort and earthly blessing. Ruth was after the heart of God. In the face of lack, hardship, and isolation, Ruth continued away from all that was familiar.

Interestingly, Moab means, “Who is your father?” I believe that her devotion sprung from a hunger to know this God of the Hebrews, who she must have heard about from her Hebrew husband. True purpose springs from identity, and true identity is found in knowing God the Father. Just as earthly fathers impart purpose and destiny by affirming who we are as individuals, so too our Heavenly Father imparts destiny as He speaks our name and purpose over us. We belong to Him. Hungry for purpose and identify, Ruth left all to go to Bethlehem, meaning “House of Bread.” Bread satisfies. Knowing God satisfies. God never wastes a word.




When God invites us on a journey in answer to the cries of our heart, it costs us something. It is very hard not to turn back to "dry land", to cling to something stable, predictable. The last and final time that Naomi urged Ruth to go back, Ruth wrapped Naomi in a bear hug and held on with all of her heart. Scripture says that Ruth “clave” to Naomi. To cleave means “to cling, closely pursue, to join together, to fasten upon, remain steadfast.” Many times it appeared that going back was the smart thing to do; all my friends and family were urging me, even demanding at times, that I go back. Only God seemed to be saying "Keep going. Trust me. I got this."

In this beautiful image I found the key to endurance. Cleave. To make it, I would have to wrap God in a big bear hug with all my mind, heart, and spirit... and not let go for anything. I could allow no distance between us. There is a big difference between one who kisses, and one who cleaves. God is able to strengthen the one who cleaves to Him.

The end of the story is that Ruth walked into great destiny, becoming an ancestor to the Messiah, the Promised One of Israel. For me, in this new place, I heard Him speak my name over me, and entered deeper into destiny and true purpose. He is worth the wait. I have never known such inner freedom, purpose, and joy. And yet, standing in this new place, if I peer hard into the distance, I think I see more adventure just up ahead.

As we cleave to the Lord with all that we are, He strengthens us on our journey to a place of deeper satisfaction in knowing Him. And if by chance we turn back like Orpah, (which I did at one point), or climb back into the boat, we can always start again. His Father heart considers our weakness, and His mercies are tender and kind.

So if you are crying out to God for more, and He comes to you with a little twinkle in His eye and says, “I am looking for someone to go on an adventure”, then by all means, go. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in Revelation

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 It is so important that we approach scripture as children, expecting the Holy Spirit to open our minds to Truth. As “churched” believers, (I so dislike that term, it sounds like something that is pickled), we are in danger of approaching the word as if we fully understand it. This attitude shuts off revelation, dulling our spiritual vision and curbing our knowledge of God. We are called to be spiritually quickened, not to pickle in the stagnant pools of familiar church doctrine. This is not to say that church doctrine is a not good and helpful. No, the problem comes when doctrine becomes a wall that shuts us out from Spirit led revelation. But when viewed as a door, doctrine can serve as an invitation, beckoning the hungry heart to come in and explore. It is interesting to note

Searching for Simeons; be still and know

Be Still, and Know.  This word came to me after I quieted my heart this morning and felt that it was the Lord speaking a word of caution and encouragement.  "Practice solitude often. Solitude increases your spiritual perception. The spirit knows and perceives while the natural mind ponders, divides, considers, reasons. Guard your mind from distraction. Knowing in the realm of the spirit is much like a man who looks into a calm pond and sees his reflection in the stillness of the water. He can see his image until a pebble is cast into the water and he loses the image just as it is taking shape. In the same way, silence is the calm water that allows you to hear my voice, for I speak to you in the silence. Emails, T.V., talk shows, intrusive cell phones are the little pebbles that disturb the water just as knowledge is forming in the depths of the spirit man. You may guard yourself against the "giants in the land" but miss me in the distractions of life. It is death by 1,00

How Faith Grows: Labor to Rest (and Tear Down Those Beliefs that Steal the Word!)

Your word is my shield and buckler. No matter what enemy David was facing, he consistently fled into the refuge of God's word. He meditated on it day and night until He saw God move.    “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” (John 6:57) How do we eat Jesus? “Hearken diligently unto Me, and eat that which is good , and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” Isaiah 55:2 We hear him, and we keep hearing him until faith is born. When faith is born, we enter into the substance of the unseen. When faith has been born, some work or experience will follow. Until then, it is dead. Like a tiny seed, the promise yields its peaceable fruit in due season; new fruit of the Spirit, or freedom from some opression. But first, we have to chew, and chew, and chew. This is actually the biblical metaphor for how we are to labor to enter into the rest of God. “Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of en