Skip to main content

Transformation, A Promise to Believe

 


Today I was delving into the book of Hebrews more deeply than ever before. I noticed that the writer repeated himself a few times when speaking of this new covenant that we have in Christ Jesus. I wanted to pay attention because I figured that it must be important if he mentioned it twice. And here it is:

Speaking of the passing away of the Old Covenant between God and Israel that was based on keeping the law, Paul writes:

“But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant which was established upon better promises.” (8:6).

 Oh I love the word promise! That always gets my attention because I live by God’s promises. I immediately thought of one of my favorite verses that says that we acquire the divine nature through God’s promises. Why do I like this? Because my ability to generate freedom from sin’s clutches came to a screeching halt at the relatively young age of 19. If there is one thing that I know down to my toes, it is that I cannot free myself from sin. I cannot make my heart loving. I cannot break free of addictions-at least not inwardly. Actually, I can’t even break free outwardly. My flesh is so very weak.  My life was quite literally saved when I discovered that God alone could, and would, make me holy. He was my only hope. He alone. It was hell getting to that place, and it was pretty awful getting out, but I am so happy that I discovered this truth. God redeems it all. (I have written a bit about this in other posts if you are interested in that story, but that is all I will say for now.)   This is the rest to which we have been called, and the rest that the Lord asks us to believe day by day.

But I digress. Back to those scriptures that Paul repeats. Oh they are delicious! You’ll see why:

Hebrews 10:16

“This is the covenant that I will made with them after those days, said the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them: and their sins and iniquities will I remember nor more.”

What does it mean to us practically to have God write His laws onto our minds and hearts by His Spirit? I found the words of the commentary in my Dake study bible to be very clarifying. It means:

1.       I will put my laws in their minds means that “they will be fully enlightened and have knowledge of the truth.” And ,

2.       I will write them in their hearts is to say that “…all of their affections, passions, and appetite shall be purified so that they will obey me willingly.”

Did you catch that? Our heart desires will be changed so that we want what God wants. In Christ, God is recreating our hearts and transforming out minds. This leads me to my next favorite verse in a very powerful chapter, 2 Corinthians 3. Once again contrasting the two covenants, law and grace through Christ, Paul calls the covenant of grace the “ministry of the Spirit” and the “ministry of righteousness” (the Spirit creates our righteousness, not us).

 Now when I say grace, most people think of grace to be saved as in get into heaven. Wipe that out of your mind! That’s what I thought as well and why I was such a miserable wretch.  That comes from what I call “churchianity” and it is killing us.

Let’s now redefine grace as it is meant in the Bible and according to the above text: grace is how God forgives us as well as how He transforms us. Grace is God’s gift of righteousness (Heb 5:17).  I broke down the meaning of the word gift and the word righteousness in that verse and came out with this: “sacrificial gift of being made innocent.” Innocence is purity of heart, the lovely lowly, meek, compassionate, fearless nature of Christ. We need to see this.  This new nature is pure gift received by faith, and it is also a process.  How many of us long to be more gentle? More loving? Less selfish or fearful? The great news is that we can become all of these things and more because of the gift of salvation.

“But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.”

Yes! It’s so awesome. The Spirit is transforming us into His image. This is the meaning of Paul’s declaration that under this brand spanking new covenant, God is writing His law into our hearts and minds so that we want what He wants. We desire what he desires. As long as we inwardly do not desire something that is considered righteous, God has not yet brought the transformation that we need. As we grow in Him, we are changed from the inside out. As long as I have to bite my lip to really love someone, I am still under the power of that sin nature. I cannot will myself to be transformed. I cannot will myself to love and to experience love from the heart. I must choose it, but my willpower cannot accomplish it; it must be an outgrowth of abiding in the Vine, just as a fig grows from a fig tree in good soil.

 I once had a very short, but strange dream: I dreamt that I was aiming a gun at an old man. I squeezed the trigger and the old man closed his eyes bracing for the bullet, but it was blank. I did it again. Again he braced for the bullet, but it was a blank. I awoke and said, Lord, what on earth! And immediately I realized that He was showing me that I can’t kill the “old man” which is the sin nature. It’s like shooting blanks. So we continue sinning and do nothing? God forbid I say, and Paul too. Sin is death.  I can and I must choose to seek God with all of my heart. Everything. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness. I must choose and seek. God cannot do that for me. God will not make me be transformed. It goes like this: “Lord, I don’t love Jane. You live in me, and you love her. I confess that I dislike her. I agree with you that it is wrong. There is no hate or dislike in you. It’s evil. I believe that you live in me Lord and that you cleanse me from all ungodliness. Lord, I believe and I receive your nature.”

And we just keep confessing and seeking until we see that transformed nature emerge.

Don’t fall into the old way of trying and failing. Enter the rest of admitting defeat. It’s glorious to embrace the depth of your inability. It is pure rest and peace. Then lift your eyes to your Savior, your faithful High Priest who sympathizes with you in your weakness. Believe the promise that He is committed to forming His image in you, and you will see it. You will be changed by that Spirit.  By faith and faith alone can you enter into His rest.

What a good God we have. What a compassionate, merciful savior.

Be blessed.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in Revelation

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 It is so important that we approach scripture as children, expecting the Holy Spirit to open our minds to Truth. As “churched” believers, (I so dislike that term, it sounds like something that is pickled), we are in danger of approaching the word as if we fully understand it. This attitude shuts off revelation, dulling our spiritual vision and curbing our knowledge of God. We are called to be spiritually quickened, not to pickle in the stagnant pools of familiar church doctrine. This is not to say that church doctrine is a not good and helpful. No, the problem comes when doctrine becomes a wall that shuts us out from Spirit led revelation. But when viewed as a door, doctrine can serve as an invitation, beckoning the hungry heart to come in and explore. It is interesting to note

Searching for Simeons; be still and know

Be Still, and Know.  This word came to me after I quieted my heart this morning and felt that it was the Lord speaking a word of caution and encouragement.)   "Practice solitude often. Solitude increases your spiritual perception. The spirit knows and perceives while the natural mind ponders, divides, considers, reasons. Guard your mind from distraction. Knowing in the realm of the spirit is much like a man who looks into a calm pond and sees his reflection in the stillness of the water. He can see his image until a  pebble is cast into the water and he loses the image just as it is taking shape. In the same way, silence is the calm water that allows you to hear my voice, for I speak to you in the silence. Emails, T.V., talk shows, intrusive cell phones are the little pebbles that disturb the water just as knowledge is forming in the depths of the spirit man. You may guard your self against the "giants in the land" and miss me in the daily distractions of life. It is dea

How Faith Grows: Labor to Rest (and Tear Down Those Beliefs that Steal the Word!)

Your word is my shield and buckler. No matter what enemy David was facing, he consistently fled into the refuge of God's word. He meditated on it day and night until He saw God move.    “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” (John 6:57) How do we eat Jesus? “Hearken diligently unto Me, and eat that which is good , and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” Isaiah 55:2 We hear him, and we keep hearing him until faith is born. When faith is born, we enter into the substance of the unseen. When faith has been born, some work or experience will follow. Until then, it is dead. Like a tiny seed, the promise yields its peaceable fruit in due season; new fruit of the Spirit, or freedom from some opression. But first, we have to chew, and chew, and chew. This is actually the biblical metaphor for how we are to labor to enter into the rest of God. “Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of en