Skip to main content

That They May Be One: True and False Unity

 

That They May Be One- What Is True Unity?

In what many call Jesus's


high priestly prayer, Jesus asks the Father to make us "one".  I am not sure what others think about this prayer, but I had the impression that he was praying that we might be one with each other.  As I read it again the other day, I saw it in a new light, one that thrilled my heart and elucidated the road to unity within the body of Christ on earth.

John 17:10

Jesus said, “…and all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee, Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me,  that they may be one, as we are.”  

I once saw Jesus in a man, and it broke the chains of my addiction and raised my dead spirit back to life. Jesus lived in this person so fully, that when I looked into his eyes, I saw God’s love. When we are one with the Father, we reveal Jesus to a lost and dying world. We make the Father known. The Lord showed me that this is exactly how He is saving the world, by inhabiting and loving through his children so completely that people fall in love with Him, and that is how we are healed and set free. 

Jesus wasn’t praying that we would be one with each other, but that we each would be one with God, even as He is. Unity with one another is the natural by-product of our unity with God.  How thrilling is it to be one with God, for God is the most enticing, most wonderful, most glorious, and most satisfying One we could ever know. Jesus was praying us into the middle of divine union, the same one that he enjoyed with the Father. Selah.

“That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.” V:21

Does this just not thrill you to bits!? It is the best news we could ever hear! And to think that Jesus suffering made it all possible. Glory to God! Truly, glory, glory, glory! It makes me want to sing the doxology! 

Jesus makes it clear that he is not asking God to take us out of the earth, rather, he is asking that through this one-ness with God, that we too might glorify God.

But later in the very same prayer, Jesus seems to pivot and totally contradicts himself:

John 17:21

 “Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am: that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.”

Jesus had just prayed that God would not take us from the world, and then he prays that we all would be with him where he is! Which is it? Keep us here, or take us with him? Yes! He wants us to be here on earth, and while here on earth we will live with him in heavenly places. Here and now we may behold His glory more and more and increase in more faith that brings us into more glory, that imparts more faith, and more glory, unto more faith until we are looking just like Him! (2 Cor 3:17-18)

Heavenly "places" is a spiritual condition, a state in which we are one with God.  

Verse 22

“And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me that they maybe be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast love them, as thou has loved me.”

What glory is Jesus giving us? We can be one with God! Then the world will see the Father. Alleluia!

I’m sorry but I had a glorious time at church this morning, and my cup is overflowing.  Nothing can compare to the power of God to bring us into this divine union. The word literally gushes forth with great and precious promises to usher us into this glory.

So what is disunity? I want to propose that true disunity is when believers slander, gossip, and fight because of jealousy, competition, personal ambition, and envy etc. etc. It is carnal Christianity born of the love of the world, and void of the love of God. 

Disunity happens when we angrily fight and debate over silly rules and religious procedures (religious holidays, abstaining from foods etc.) that have nothing to do with true righteousness, and have no power to save us. Scripture is clear that we are to refrain from all of the above, because it is not the wisdom that comes from above. 

When we walk contrary to love, we break the unity of the Spirit who is exquisitely sensitive to unkindness. I will never, ever forget when I was going through grief, and God's presence was so strong upon me to comfort me. I had people staying with me, and I casually remarked that my roommate was a little fastidious about her things, but I used a slang term popular back then.  Right after I said it, I felt the Holy Spirit's grief like a stabbing pain in heart. Immediately I apologized and repented because God does not talk like that. He is never rude, crude, harsh, or unkind. Jesus is described as being "harmless", and he is deeply pained by unkindness in the body of Christ. This is the acid test of truly knowing Christ; how do we treat one another? How do we talk about each other?

I am proposing that this kind of anger, debate, and unkindness is the thing that truly breaks unity, and that unity is NOT conformity of thought, or mindlessly (and prayerless-ly) accepting every teaching, doctrine, and practice that blows through the body of Christ. Calls for unity are growing louder and louder, both inside and outside of the body of Christ. We are now witnessing the call for global religious pluralism such that we must embrace all paths to God. (If you are not aware of what is going on, search “UAE deal, Abrahamic House”, “Chrislam and the Pope” and you will get up to speed with what is coming down the global pike.)

 This is the end-time deception that confronts us right now, and it will only increase. Now, more than ever, the body of Christ is going to have to contend for the faith and truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ, who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Satan is coming against it because it will truly save people!

Scripture tells us to test prophetic words, and to search the scriptures to determine if the word being spoken is of God. I don’t know about you, but when was the last time that you heard anyone talk about testing the prophetic word, teachings, or those who claim the office of prophet or apostle? I have never heard anyone talk about it, but on the contrary, I have only witnessed a blank check that the church is expected to sign for anyone who claims to have spoken to an angel or has a word from God. 

This should not be, and it is not unity. It is a pathway to deception that is right in line with what we are warned about concerning the end-times.

There is a difference between slandering a brother, and questioning a teaching, movement, or sermon.  We are to abstain from all slander and attacks, but we are to diligently search the word and inquire of the Lord to test all that we are hearing. If we don't, who will? 

Deception is running rampant in the church right now. We are living in the time of the great falling away. Truth matters, because without the truth, we cannot be truly saved from the bondage of sin. God has redeemed us with His one and only Son. It is a perfect sacrifice, and a perfect salvation. May the Lord put a fire in our hearts to protect the preaching of the word, and the sanctity of the gospel of salvation.

2 Timothy 4:2-4

“Preach the word, be instant in season, and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears, and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.” 

That time is now.

 Unity, or oneness with God, is only through faith in Jesus Christ unto His glory so that this world can be saved. No other teaching, philosophy, practice, or politics can unite the body of Christ.

I would love to know your thoughts, and what the Lord is saying to you about this.


 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in Revelation

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 It is so important that we approach scripture as children, expecting the Holy Spirit to open our minds to Truth. As “churched” believers, (I so dislike that term, it sounds like something that is pickled), we are in danger of approaching the word as if we fully understand it. This attitude shuts off revelation, dulling our spiritual vision and curbing our knowledge of God. We are called to be spiritually quickened, not to pickle in the stagnant pools of familiar church doctrine. This is not to say that church doctrine is a not good and helpful. No, the problem comes when doctrine becomes a wall that shuts us out from Spirit led revelation. But when viewed as a door, doctrine can serve as an invitation, beckoning the hungry heart to come in and explore. It is interesting to note

Searching for Simeons; be still and know

Be Still, and Know.  This word came to me after I quieted my heart this morning and felt that it was the Lord speaking a word of caution and encouragement.)   "Practice solitude often. Solitude increases your spiritual perception. The spirit knows and perceives while the natural mind ponders, divides, considers, reasons. Guard your mind from distraction. Knowing in the realm of the spirit is much like a man who looks into a calm pond and sees his reflection in the stillness of the water. He can see his image until a  pebble is cast into the water and he loses the image just as it is taking shape. In the same way, silence is the calm water that allows you to hear my voice, for I speak to you in the silence. Emails, T.V., talk shows, intrusive cell phones are the little pebbles that disturb the water just as knowledge is forming in the depths of the spirit man. You may guard your self against the "giants in the land" and miss me in the daily distractions of life. It is dea

How Faith Grows: Labor to Rest (and Tear Down Those Beliefs that Steal the Word!)

Your word is my shield and buckler. No matter what enemy David was facing, he consistently fled into the refuge of God's word. He meditated on it day and night until He saw God move.    “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” (John 6:57) How do we eat Jesus? “Hearken diligently unto Me, and eat that which is good , and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” Isaiah 55:2 We hear him, and we keep hearing him until faith is born. When faith is born, we enter into the substance of the unseen. When faith has been born, some work or experience will follow. Until then, it is dead. Like a tiny seed, the promise yields its peaceable fruit in due season; new fruit of the Spirit, or freedom from some opression. But first, we have to chew, and chew, and chew. This is actually the biblical metaphor for how we are to labor to enter into the rest of God. “Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of en