Skip to main content

Attend Unto My Words and Live: Honey and Milk!

 (I'm doing some quick notes on my morning time and the nuggets He gives me.)


Hear and Live!

The past few days the Lord is speaking to me about the necessity of getting quiet in order to hear Him. There is a war for our attention; not just for the focus of our attention, but our attention itself. Our minds. Our ability to get still and to live in a place that is still enough to hear His faintest nudge.

Psalm 32:7-10

Thou art my hiding-place: thou wilt preserve me from trouble; Thou wilt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will counsel thee with mine eye upon thee. Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding; Whose trappings must be bit and bridle to hold them in, else they will not come near unto thee. Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he that trusteth in Jehovah, lovingkindness shall compass him about.

This passage fills me with a sweetness and a peace that is so lovely. How precious of Him to keep His eyes upon us. What gentle lovingkindness takes us by that hands, patiently teaches, disciplines, leads, and instructs as a parent with a small child. “Else they will not come near unto thee” the psalmist says, and He bids us come into His chambers, to gaze upon His beauty and to inquire in His temple. He calls us to Himself. In another beautiful passage the psalmist says that he was about to tumble into a pit of deception as he beheld the prosperity of the wicked.

“When I thought how I might know this, it was too painful for me: Until I went into the sanctuary of God, and considered their latter end. Surely thou settest them in slippery places: thou castest them down to destruction. How are they become a desolation in a moment! They are utterly consumed with terrors. As a dream when one awaketh, So, O Lord, when thou awakes, thou wilt despise their image.” Psalm 73:16-20

When he was out of the Lord’s presence, looking with his physical eyes and mind upon the prosperity of the wicked and the suffering of the righteous, he began to enter into sin. If he would have continued in this way, the deception of sin would have further hardened his heart and, if given enough time, the knowledge of God’s goodness would be wiped from his heart and mind. Sin blinds us to God’s goodness. The pure in heart see God. As he drew away from the noisy world to get alone with God, he received the word of the Lord. He gained understanding. The lamp of His Spirit grew warm and enlightened with the knowledge of God-that He is good, and He will give the wicked their due. Be patient!

God can only speak into the stillness of our souls, and without a quiet heart, we will not hear His guidance. We will not be given the understanding needed to escape the claws of deception, error, and unbelief.

“Let your heart lay hold of my words; keep my commands and you will live.” Proverbs 4:4

John 12:50

And I know that his commandment is life eternal: the things therefore which I speak, even as the Father hath said unto me, so I speak.

Jesus could remain in the zoe life of God to the extent that He spent quiet time hearing the voice of wisdom-the instruction of His Father.

Psalms says that the wicked have the poison of adders under their tongue, but the righteous have milk and honey under their tongues. So too, Jesus spoke words of life. Milk gives nurture and strength, and honey is the sweetness of the revelation of God.

As we win this battle with distraction and bind our minds to God’s voice in the quiet place, more and more honey and milk will flow from our tongues. We shall speak the very words of God to one another! But only those who have first heard Him, and keep on hearing Him in the quiet place where the battle with distraction has been won.

Songs 4:11

Thy lips, O my bride, drop as the honeycomb: Honey and milk are under thy tongue; And the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.

A few years ago I had a dream that I finally understood this morning. In the dream, I was standing in front of the people at my church saying, “Do you feel like you can’t see Jesus as you did before?” And they all raised their hands. I said, “Look around you. We all feel that way.” Then I went to grab some notes that I had wanted to share with the group, but when I returned to the room everyone had drifted outside to have lunch.

Today I realized that the Lord was showing me the distracted church. We have so many things taking our attention, and instead of patiently waiting for the Lord’s word, the bread from heaven, they drifted unconsciously outside into the world to sit at the world’s table. This is the reason why so many of us have felt that we can no longer see the Lord as we once did. The soil of our hearts are full of distraction, idols, pleasures worries and cares.

1.    Heart sins (the hardest to see and most subtle): pride, fear of man, jealously etc all stem from these.

 

2.    Busyness. Not sin per se but just too distracted to hear Him, and then to continue in what we hear. This is the parable of the birds that steal the seed. His word always comes as a seed. It takes care, attention, and a waiting heart to grow it into a mature tree.

Psalm 1:2-3

But his delight is in the law of Jehovah; And on his law doth he meditate day and night.

3And he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water, That bringeth forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also doth not wither; And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in Revelation

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 It is so important that we approach scripture as children, expecting the Holy Spirit to open our minds to Truth. As “churched” believers, (I so dislike that term, it sounds like something that is pickled), we are in danger of approaching the word as if we fully understand it. This attitude shuts off revelation, dulling our spiritual vision and curbing our knowledge of God. We are called to be spiritually quickened, not to pickle in the stagnant pools of familiar church doctrine. This is not to say that church doctrine is a not good and helpful. No, the problem comes when doctrine becomes a wall that shuts us out from Spirit led revelation. But when viewed as a door, doctrine can serve as an invitation, beckoning the hungry heart to come in and explore. It is interesting to note

Searching for Simeons; be still and know

Be Still, and Know.  This word came to me after I quieted my heart this morning and felt that it was the Lord speaking a word of caution and encouragement.)   "Practice solitude often. Solitude increases your spiritual perception. The spirit knows and perceives while the natural mind ponders, divides, considers, reasons. Guard your mind from distraction. Knowing in the realm of the spirit is much like a man who looks into a calm pond and sees his reflection in the stillness of the water. He can see his image until a  pebble is cast into the water and he loses the image just as it is taking shape. In the same way, silence is the calm water that allows you to hear my voice, for I speak to you in the silence. Emails, T.V., talk shows, intrusive cell phones are the little pebbles that disturb the water just as knowledge is forming in the depths of the spirit man. You may guard your self against the "giants in the land" and miss me in the daily distractions of life. It is dea

How Faith Grows: Labor to Rest (and Tear Down Those Beliefs that Steal the Word!)

Your word is my shield and buckler. No matter what enemy David was facing, he consistently fled into the refuge of God's word. He meditated on it day and night until He saw God move.    “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” (John 6:57) How do we eat Jesus? “Hearken diligently unto Me, and eat that which is good , and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” Isaiah 55:2 We hear him, and we keep hearing him until faith is born. When faith is born, we enter into the substance of the unseen. When faith has been born, some work or experience will follow. Until then, it is dead. Like a tiny seed, the promise yields its peaceable fruit in due season; new fruit of the Spirit, or freedom from some opression. But first, we have to chew, and chew, and chew. This is actually the biblical metaphor for how we are to labor to enter into the rest of God. “Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of en