Skip to main content

Beholding Him In The Mirror

 


The law is good, that is, unless we try to keep it. Trying to keep the law leads to one thing-death. In 2 Corinthians 3, Paul contrasts law-keeping with the ministry of the Spirit, which is the “ministry of righteousness." I love the sound of that, the ministry of righteousness, the Holy Spirit ministering the righteousness of Christ into the inner man.

This powerful chapter culminates in this beautiful verse:

“Now the Lord is that Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.”

Now, I always thought that we looked through the glass to see the Lord, but that word glass in the Greek means a mirror in which one sees his reflection. When was the last time that you looked through a mirror? A mirror reflects your image. Paul said that the gospel is summed up thus: "Christ in me, the hope of glory." And a verse dear to many believers capturing this truth that “I no longer live, but Christ lives in me….by faith in the Son of God…” Galatians 2:20.

As I contemplated that mirror Paul spoke of, I recalled the time in my own life when the Lord gave me a clear understanding that Jesus lived inside of me, and it broke the heavy chains of addiction to cigarettes in a moment.  After years of trying to quit, I was again at the end of my own resources, and I was living the verse from Romans 7 where Paul wrote that, “...the good that I would I do not; but the evil which I would not, that I do…oh wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from this body of death!”

 One day, at the end of my rope with this particular struggle, I complained to some young man at church who told me that I needed to go home and read Romans chapters 6-8. (I miss those days when we just went to the Bible!) When I did, I could not believe eyes. Right there in the pages of the Bible I was reading my own struggle as if I had written it myself, and there was even an answer! I was stunned.

Long story short, I quit trying to quit because after many years of prayers, altar ministry, and pronouncements of freedom and various quitting tactics, I only grew worse. So I began searching my Bible. No naming, proclaiming, hanging up and framing...I was just reading and seeking God as if my life depended on it.  But I definitively and summarily quit quitting. It wasn’t working. Instead, I hungrily searched the scriptures to see how I could attain the freedom spoken of in Romans 8.

Over a period of nine months I filled three notebooks with these powerful verses with references, cross-references, and cross-references of my cross-references. Dake study Bibles are no joke. I was on a mission. I was digging for gold. I was not at all happy with the state of affairs in my life because the word told me that Christ had set me free, but I was not free, and I was not willing to accept the wide gulf between the word of God in Christ and my life. I wanted the whole truth, or nothing at all. (I was fairly radical at that age.)

I said long story short, but I should have said short story long, or perhaps long story long. (Have you ever noticed that people with the gift of brevity never say that phrase?)  Over those months, I simply immersed myself in study about the law of the Spirit. I love that phrase, the “law of the Spirit,” it just makes me want to shout.

I read that sin shall no longer have dominion over me! I really can’t tell you how exciting that was to see, because sin had had so much dominion over me that it had destroyed me completely. In my darkest hour years before this, my mother told me that she had looked into my eyes and her blood ran cold because there was no life in my eyes. I knew the dominion of sin well.

As I continued my search for help, I noticed that it was all about the Spirit through faith. I read over and over about the Spirit by faith in connection to overcoming sin. So, okay, the Holy Spirit operating by faith gives me dominion over sin. Awesome! Now how do I do that? None of this was at all clear to me.

At the end of that nine month period of study, something began to happen. I began to experience the reality that Jesus Christ Himself was living in me, and Jesus, well let me tell you that He is NOT a smoker!

It was not an intellectual knowledge, rather, it was a living, breathing reality bubbling up in my spirit man, like a powerful ball of glory and might and joy unspeakable all rolled into one super-powered heavenly dynamo!  Interestingly, one of the definitions of the word “meditation” means to study, so basically I was meditating consistently for a nine month period. I didn’t read about anything else, only what it would take to be free. I was on a quest, and I was totally focused on the goal.

The week leading up to my deliverance, right as this revelation was growing in my spirit, I began to get attacked by the enemy at night, and that was when it dawned on me that there were demonic attachments to my addiction, and my desire for freedom grew even stronger. Finally, the day came when the chains broke, and the freedom was so complete that it was as if I had never smoked a cigarette a day in my life. What's more, the revelation of Christ in me and the freedom that He gives us through the work of the cross was truly like an atom bomb exploding inside of me. For three days straight I was inwardly preaching the glories of Christ so that at times I felt as if I was going to implode. The power inside me was seeking a release, so one day in a kind of glorious despair, I called my pastor and told him that I needed to testify to what the Lord had done or I feared I would actually explode into a thousand pieces! Thank goodness he said that I could share that coming Sunday.

 The Lord did not let me prepare but instructed me to begin with one verse, and said that He would take it from there. The verse was this:

“For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10

As I was waiting to speak, all that I felt was a distinct power inside of me that was wanting to smash the kingdom of darkness! Smash the lies of the enemy!  Smash the lie that we won’t be free until we die, smash the lie that God is mad at those who are struggling with sin, and smash the bondage! I had a very powerful, clear desire to put a dent into the kingdom of darkness-it was as if I could see nothing else. 

I so love the power of the testimony! I heard many stories of freedom and even bible studies on the subject of Romans 8 that were commenced after that testimony. I have no idea what I said, only that I was declaring the truth that who the Son sets free is free INDEED! Not free to still struggle, not free to white-knuckle it, but free as if one was never bound. That was the message that flowed our of my spirit like a river of fire. Oh, God is so, so good. 

Yes, the kingdom of God does suffer violence. I had been bound in sin and for a season the kingdom of darkness had me bound in gagged, but the violent also take God’s kingdom by force, and the gates of hell cannot stand against it no matter how deep, how dark, how sinister that hell may be. Jesus is greater.

What if we face every battle like that? What if every time we come up against the kingdom of darkness in our lives, the power of darkness keeping us in some sin, illness, fear, or unloving attitude, we would get ahold of those great and precious promises by which we become partakers of the divine nature? (2 Peter 1:4)

Romans 8 says that the law of the Spirit has set us free, so now what? Why do we sit and binge Netflix when we are still bound?  What if we got spiritually violent? What if we refused to accept the dominion of Satan exercising any authority over our lives, our hearts, our bodies, or our relationships? That experience showed me what is possible if we will but seize the victory that Jesus seized for us!

 I love these words; “For sin shall not have dominion over you, for ye are not under law, but under grace.” (Romans 6:14) I wonder if that is ultimately why Moses could not enter into the Promised Land, because the law came through Moses, and the law will never take us into the divine power and glory of righteousness.  But grace and truth came through Christ, and sin has no power or authority to exercise dominion over us anymore because of the beautiful, immeasurable, costly gift of the Holy Spirit.

Labor to enter His rest...it is the only labor that is allowed. No sweat was allowed in the Holy of Holies because only people who work will break a sweat! Paul says to labor to enter His rest by mixing the promises with our faith (Hebrews 4:2).  The word “mix” in that passage is the same word used to describe chewing food to mix it with saliva in order to digest it into the body.

“And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, How long are ye slack to go to possess the land, which the Lord God of your fathers hath given you?” Joshua 18:3

So what about that mirror? Christ in me, the hope of glory. The Holy Spirit, the children of God, and the whole earth are groaning and travailing to bring forth mature children of God who love like Him, who talk like Him, and who believe like Him.

Sometimes people talk as if there is some tension between law and grace, but I really believe that is just because we don’t understand grace. The first step that I took on my journey back to God was when the Holy Spirit showed me that grace was not just a ticket to heaven, but divine transformation by Dr. Jesus!  It is not about “law or grace” rather, it’s about trying or believing. The difference between law and grace is not the goal, but the way that we arrive at the goal.  We will never arrive by keeping commands and trying to be good. We "arrive" by faith in Christ, until that faith births His very nature, and we begin to see that His life is our life, and our life is His life until we behold Him….as in a mirror.

"You who are trying to be justified by the law have been severed from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the hope of righteousness." Gal 5:4-5

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in Revelation

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 It is so important that we approach scripture as children, expecting the Holy Spirit to open our minds to Truth. As “churched” believers, (I so dislike that term, it sounds like something that is pickled), we are in danger of approaching the word as if we fully understand it. This attitude shuts off revelation, dulling our spiritual vision and curbing our knowledge of God. We are called to be spiritually quickened, not to pickle in the stagnant pools of familiar church doctrine. This is not to say that church doctrine is a not good and helpful. No, the problem comes when doctrine becomes a wall that shuts us out from Spirit led revelation. But when viewed as a door, doctrine can serve as an invitation, beckoning the hungry heart to come in and explore. It is interesting to note

Searching for Simeons; be still and know

Be Still, and Know.  This word came to me after I quieted my heart this morning and felt that it was the Lord speaking a word of caution and encouragement.)   "Practice solitude often. Solitude increases your spiritual perception. The spirit knows and perceives while the natural mind ponders, divides, considers, reasons. Guard your mind from distraction. Knowing in the realm of the spirit is much like a man who looks into a calm pond and sees his reflection in the stillness of the water. He can see his image until a  pebble is cast into the water and he loses the image just as it is taking shape. In the same way, silence is the calm water that allows you to hear my voice, for I speak to you in the silence. Emails, T.V., talk shows, intrusive cell phones are the little pebbles that disturb the water just as knowledge is forming in the depths of the spirit man. You may guard your self against the "giants in the land" and miss me in the daily distractions of life. It is dea

How Faith Grows: Labor to Rest (and Tear Down Those Beliefs that Steal the Word!)

Your word is my shield and buckler. No matter what enemy David was facing, he consistently fled into the refuge of God's word. He meditated on it day and night until He saw God move.    “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” (John 6:57) How do we eat Jesus? “Hearken diligently unto Me, and eat that which is good , and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” Isaiah 55:2 We hear him, and we keep hearing him until faith is born. When faith is born, we enter into the substance of the unseen. When faith has been born, some work or experience will follow. Until then, it is dead. Like a tiny seed, the promise yields its peaceable fruit in due season; new fruit of the Spirit, or freedom from some opression. But first, we have to chew, and chew, and chew. This is actually the biblical metaphor for how we are to labor to enter into the rest of God. “Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of en