Skip to main content

Psalm 16 You Are My Portion Lord!

I have been deeply moved by the richness and wisdom contained in Psalm 16.  It just gets better every time I meditate upon it. In sum, I just see the heart of our Savior in it. Because we have been "quickened together with Christ", we can interpret Messianic Psalms as part of the new creation given to us in Christ, (Romans 8, 2 Cor 5:17, Galatians, Colossians 2, 2 Corinthians 3:18). Surely He prepares a delectable table before us in the presence of our enemies, the struggles and troubles confronting us on a daily basis.

We are told that Jesus became sin so that we could become His righteousness. 1 John 3: 1-2 says we will one day become like he is! "Beloved, now we are children of God, and it is not yet revealed what we shall be; but we know that when he is revealed, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." Wow! I don't think I have ever heard a sermon or teaching on this concept. It's just one of those weird scriptures that Christianity avoids like a mystery entrĂ©e at a potluck dinner.

But who longs to peer into these divine mysteries? We are invited to come, ask, seek, knock.  If it's in His word, He meant us to be enriched by it. By His side there are pleasure forevermore! Wisdom is to know that all true joy is found in knowing God. But man's religion does us a grave disservice by creating a caricature of God that grants him all the appeal of a mouthful of dirt on a hot summers day. No wonder so many churches fail to satisfy the desires of a thirsty flock that hungers for God.

The truth is that God is holy and loving, full of adventure and joy. He created all that is good and perfect and beautiful in this world.  He is mighty like a lion, yet tender as a dove, full of holy passion, yet meek and gentle. He is sweetness itself, the "Bread of the Presence", filling our spirits like warm buttered bread fills our bellies. He is everything that we desire, and more.

Psalm 16 begins by declaring, "I will not fear, for you are my refuge." I have nothing to fear when I make the Most High my refuge. When I see fear in myself, I know that I am either seeking something outside of his will, or I am not seeing my Heavenly Father for who he is.  Listen to the beauty and wisdom of these words: "The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; thou maintains my lot, the lines have fallen unto me in pleasant places, I have a goodly heritage." These are the words of an undivided heart. Jesus only wanted God's will. He delighted in it with his whole heart.

Jesus knew that the Father's commands were eternal life! Not just life in heaven, but joy and vitality, spiritual life.  He willingly submitted to the Father's will because he knew that it was eternal life. This is the cup Jesus spoke of in the garden and on the cross. We have nothing at all to fear because the Lord has marked out the "land" that we are to inhabit. The key lies in his absolute surrender to  the plans and purposes of God. And we can rest confidently in the knowledge that God will guide and direct as needed. He says in verse 7, "I will bless the Lord who hath given me counsel." Jesus expected counsel from his Father.  He says, "I have set the Lord always before me, because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved."

Of course, the crowning jewel of this Psalm is at the end, "Thou wilt show me the path of life; in thy presence is fullness of joy, at thy right hand there are pleasure forevermore." In all things, I can look to God as seen in this beautiful Psalm. Lord, you are my safety. I seek safety in nothing and no one but you! I can trust you to counsel and guide me, and I will follow and obey. Because you are my portion. You have set the boundary lines of my inheritance in this life. Like Israel, you have marked out the boundary lines of my promised land. You purchased this land with the blood of Jesus, it is a land flowing with milk and honey. It is your sweet Presence, given to me because I am washed by the lamb's sacrifice. It is righteousness, joy, and peace. It is my calling and destiny to walk with you all the days of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in Revelation

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 It is so important that we approach scripture as children, expecting the Holy Spirit to open our minds to Truth. As “churched” believers, (I so dislike that term, it sounds like something that is pickled), we are in danger of approaching the word as if we fully understand it. This attitude shuts off revelation, dulling our spiritual vision and curbing our knowledge of God. We are called to be spiritually quickened, not to pickle in the stagnant pools of familiar church doctrine. This is not to say that church doctrine is a not good and helpful. No, the problem comes when doctrine becomes a wall that shuts us out from Spirit led revelation. But when viewed as a door, doctrine can serve as an invitation, beckoning the hungry heart to come in and explore. It is interesting to note

Searching for Simeons; be still and know

Be Still, and Know.  This word came to me after I quieted my heart this morning and felt that it was the Lord speaking a word of caution and encouragement.)   "Practice solitude often. Solitude increases your spiritual perception. The spirit knows and perceives while the natural mind ponders, divides, considers, reasons. Guard your mind from distraction. Knowing in the realm of the spirit is much like a man who looks into a calm pond and sees his reflection in the stillness of the water. He can see his image until a  pebble is cast into the water and he loses the image just as it is taking shape. In the same way, silence is the calm water that allows you to hear my voice, for I speak to you in the silence. Emails, T.V., talk shows, intrusive cell phones are the little pebbles that disturb the water just as knowledge is forming in the depths of the spirit man. You may guard your self against the "giants in the land" and miss me in the daily distractions of life. It is dea

How Faith Grows: Labor to Rest (and Tear Down Those Beliefs that Steal the Word!)

Your word is my shield and buckler. No matter what enemy David was facing, he consistently fled into the refuge of God's word. He meditated on it day and night until He saw God move.    “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” (John 6:57) How do we eat Jesus? “Hearken diligently unto Me, and eat that which is good , and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” Isaiah 55:2 We hear him, and we keep hearing him until faith is born. When faith is born, we enter into the substance of the unseen. When faith has been born, some work or experience will follow. Until then, it is dead. Like a tiny seed, the promise yields its peaceable fruit in due season; new fruit of the Spirit, or freedom from some opression. But first, we have to chew, and chew, and chew. This is actually the biblical metaphor for how we are to labor to enter into the rest of God. “Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of en