Skip to main content

"She Has Wrought A Good Work" - Mary of Bethany


“Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, there came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. But when the disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying “To what purpose is this waste?” For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor. When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, “Why trouble ye the woman? For she hath wrought a good work upon me…for in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.” Matthew 26: 6-12

Like me, do you long to do as Jesus did, and “work the works” of God? I do, but I often get just a little overwhelmed with all that this implies. I was feeling this way this morning and discussing it with the Lord when I ran across this awesome scripture. In it I saw that He will lead me each and every day. My only task is to remain closely connected to Him. To truly work the works of God, all I must do is abide and obey with all of my heart.

So here is what I saw in this passage today.  What Mary did defied human rationale about how to serve God.  More importantly, it defied natural, religious reasoning- the enemy of true, spiritual worship.  Mary's work flowed from a heart aflame with God's love. She was also apparently being led of the Holy Spirit. How else could she have known that she had to anoint Jesus for burial? She may not have had any idea of the true purpose of her actions. She was simply worshipping her Savior. But she was fulfilling a beautiful, divine purpose that she could not have comprehended with her human reasoning.  Yet, her “work” was so powerful that Jesus deemed it worthy of being remembered through all time!

 But Jesus’s own disciples were very offended. They were indignant! Righteous indignation I am sure. What is so amazing is that their values were extremely holy and good: God calls us to remember the poor. This is God’s heartbeat.  But truth without the Holy Spirit will always miss the mark. Truth without love is deadly. The disciples missed his heart because they were leaning on their own understanding and judgment. They were also in a “right/wrong” mindset. But Mary’s love flowed from deep devotion to God, having been touched by His love and grace. She had evidently been in a place of communion with the Lord.  She had her ear pressed up against the Lord’s breast, listening to the thump-thump of his love. And what she heard led her to pour out her life savings on Him. The disciples were right, but Mary was in love.

And here is the answer to my concerns about “working the works of God.” Get quiet. Look to the Lord. Worship Him for His great grace and salvation.  Listen, hear, obey. As we do this, every day, he will lead us to do a “good work” like Mary. Like Jesus. We are not called to “get it right," but to worship the Lord from hearts full of the Holy Spirit and his love that is “shed abroad in our hearts.” And I am so overjoyed to know that I bring the willingness, and He brings the ability and empowerment.  He is faithful to finish the work that he started!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing in Revelation

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26 It is so important that we approach scripture as children, expecting the Holy Spirit to open our minds to Truth. As “churched” believers, (I so dislike that term, it sounds like something that is pickled), we are in danger of approaching the word as if we fully understand it. This attitude shuts off revelation, dulling our spiritual vision and curbing our knowledge of God. We are called to be spiritually quickened, not to pickle in the stagnant pools of familiar church doctrine. This is not to say that church doctrine is a not good and helpful. No, the problem comes when doctrine becomes a wall that shuts us out from Spirit led revelation. But when viewed as a door, doctrine can serve as an invitation, beckoning the hungry heart to come in and explore. It is interesting to note

Searching for Simeons; be still and know

Be Still, and Know.  This word came to me after I quieted my heart this morning and felt that it was the Lord speaking a word of caution and encouragement.)   "Practice solitude often. Solitude increases your spiritual perception. The spirit knows and perceives while the natural mind ponders, divides, considers, reasons. Guard your mind from distraction. Knowing in the realm of the spirit is much like a man who looks into a calm pond and sees his reflection in the stillness of the water. He can see his image until a  pebble is cast into the water and he loses the image just as it is taking shape. In the same way, silence is the calm water that allows you to hear my voice, for I speak to you in the silence. Emails, T.V., talk shows, intrusive cell phones are the little pebbles that disturb the water just as knowledge is forming in the depths of the spirit man. You may guard your self against the "giants in the land" and miss me in the daily distractions of life. It is dea

How Faith Grows: Labor to Rest (and Tear Down Those Beliefs that Steal the Word!)

Your word is my shield and buckler. No matter what enemy David was facing, he consistently fled into the refuge of God's word. He meditated on it day and night until He saw God move.    “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.” (John 6:57) How do we eat Jesus? “Hearken diligently unto Me, and eat that which is good , and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” Isaiah 55:2 We hear him, and we keep hearing him until faith is born. When faith is born, we enter into the substance of the unseen. When faith has been born, some work or experience will follow. Until then, it is dead. Like a tiny seed, the promise yields its peaceable fruit in due season; new fruit of the Spirit, or freedom from some opression. But first, we have to chew, and chew, and chew. This is actually the biblical metaphor for how we are to labor to enter into the rest of God. “Let us therefore fear, lest, a PROMISE being left us of en